Secondary Schools & Youth
Ditch the traditional talk based interventions, put the mobile devices away, & let the drums do the talking!
With EVERY BEAT, young people build a sense of connection, success, empowerment, and wellbeing!
Guaranteed to unite everyone in the room within minutes, drumming together has the power to connect strangers, facilitate community engagement, and inspire change to the beat of the drum.
Afrobeat are passionate drum leaders - ‘life educators’ who inspire young adults through the medium of the drum and music making. Within minutes, Afrobeat transform a group of novice young drummers from a cacophony of noise into a lively orchestra. With every beat, their excitement builds as they begin to sense the power of their rhythmic contributions and realise their musical potential and the support of their peers.
Drumming teaches young people valuable life skills that will endure a lifetime including mindfulness, resilience, and perseverance while fortifying community values, inspiring cultural awareness, diversity and team spirit.
Because ‘The djembe knows no borders’, it levels the playing field, allowing all abilities, backgrounds, languages, social status, and experiences to come together in a FUN, relaxed and creative environment.
Encouraged to ditch limiting self beliefs, peer pressure, and their comfort zone, participants are immediately rewarded by the simple act of engagement, contribution, and freedom to express their true selves to the beat of the drum.
Through rhythmic entrainment, drummers relax, learn to quiet the distraction, regain focus, and calm breath and mind.
The message is – Everybody belongs, everybody has a part to play.
DRUM WITH US
and experience it for yourself!
See how we engage 300 Year 7’s in our Interactive Drumming Show while capturing the School’s themes of Compassion, Innovation & Integrity.
What others are saying...
These workshops were highly successful in bringing together our community. Participants learned the beautiful rhythms of Africa and their cultural stories. We learned how different rhythms were specific to different celebrations & customs. It was an enlightening experience for all involved. During these workshops, we were approached by the producers of Channel 10’s
…’Totally Wild’ to film a story on African Drumming. It was an extremely exciting time, bringing a community of young people, parents & workers together. Janine is very sincere & genuine & has the ability to energise a group of people & inspire them to share with her the wonderful rhythms & dances of Africa.
Leaps and Bounds staff and students had a great term, which culminated in a brilliant performance. Indeed, the facilitator was very charismatic & always appropriate for our students who all have different issues and difficulties. The performance in front of parents driven by Afrobeat’s enthusiasm & belief in them was an amazing feat for students…
…who may never have an opportunity to show their skills or push their limits in front of an audience, particularly one who they believe may be sceptical or negative. They put their fears aside, and the looks on their faces showed how important this event (and the previous lessons) had been.
Afrobeat were wonderful, ahead of time, friendly, warm with the students and staff and, of course, great performers. Each time we have AFROBEAT people here, they bring a little light and happiness with them. From our point of view, it’s a ‘win’ every time.
We were impressed with Janine’s performance & standard of professionalism towards her work. The young people were very enthusiastic toward her and the skills she had to offer. Janine possesses excellent communication skills and has no difficulties relating to people at all levels. Her methods of teaching were very simple & easy to understand.
It was a great experience! The teaching style allowed students to learn and participate without feeling judged or like they couldn’t drum. Students were highly engaged and left keen to do more in the future. An all-inclusive drumming experience that takes a complete novice to a basic drummer in as little as 40 min!
Thanks so much for the session last week. It was really enjoyable, the group loved it. You are very good at what you do!
We’ve enjoyed Afrobeat throughout the sessions over 6 weeks. Students at Leaps and Bounds have high needs so it was fantastic that the facilitators were flexible, adaptable & accommodating. Afrobeat’s presentation was always vibrant & engaging. You clearly have great connections with young adults & your ability to empathise was great.
We had lots of terrific feedback from staff and students. A quote from one of the students… ‘I really enjoyed the boomwhackers they were interesting. The boomwhackers were little tubes and when you bang them together they each made a different sound’. Thanks for another energetic experience.
A vibrant, energetic performance thoroughly enjoyed by the students and staff that enabled full participation while capturing our school’s themes.
Afrobeat is committed to the safety of our community!
*Covid Safe Drumming TIPS*
1. Wash your hands before touching the drums
2. Respect social distancing between Participants and Facilitator
3. Participants exhibiting 'symptoms' should not participate in the activity
4. Where necessary, our Facilitator will wear a mask
- Music & Dance Incursions
- Interactive Whole School Entertainment
- FULL / HALF DAY Programs - Round Robin Workshops
- Whole Year Level Engagement
- Year 7 - Transition
- Building Resilience through rhythm
- Re-engage disengaged students
- Year 9 - Leadership Development to run Peer Lead Program
- School & Youth Camps
- At Risk Youth
- BEAT Stress - Student Wellbeing Program
- Stress Relief for Senior Students
- Community Engagement
- Team Building
- Staff PD Activity
- And MORE!
Afrobeat’s Interactive Drumming is perfect if you’re looking to help your group
- Get inspired to participate in mainstream activities
- Build confidence
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Feel a greater sense of belonging
- Improve social skills
- Harness peer support
- Increase self esteem, self-worth and self belief
- Improve communication, listening and response skills
- Develop better memory and concentration
- Learn mindfulness and other coping skills
- Cooperate and contribute in a group environment
- Build resilience and perseverance
- Instil a sense of history, community, tradition and culture
- Build tolerance of other’s differences
- Get energised and inspired
- Improve self expression
- Develop cultural awareness and diversity
- Experience solidarity and social harmony
- Improve mental health
- Build leadership and follow-ship Skills
- Practice patience and self-control
- Meet on an equal playing field
- Work together as a team to create music
- Learn a new skill
- Foster imagination & creativity
- Experience a sense of connection and celebration